Monday 20 November 2017

Monday and Me - A Memory Quilt for me

 It's been a funny week - not funny-ha-ha, more funny-peculiar. As you know Cousin Russell has been staying with us while he finds wokr etc but he had a chance to work in West Wales this week so he departed on Tuesday and it was odd to have to scale down the cooking a little. I used the time to pull out all the old and precious T-shirts I have worn over the last 40+ years and set to work making my very own memory quilt.
 It was so much fun, even if I am sadly out of practice with sitting at a machine for hours. Of course the memories came flooding back as I cut and stitched and I confess to crying a lot as I held the Wrangler T-shirt because I had worn that on our special holiday in Scotland with The Lord Admiral and Lady B (long before they had earned their titles and were just Mr and Mrs).
 As the tears flowed I realised just how much I miss him because he was so much more than "just" my cousin. He was the baby brother I never had. It reminded me that we did so many things together when we were growing up and I don't think we ever fell out over anything. Perhaps because he could make me laugh?
I used a quilt as you go method which means that the back is as colourful as the front. Now I intend doing a little hand quilting this winter just to make it even more mine. This means I will be able to wrap myself in it and then do a bit of stitching while watching TV with the weather raging outside. A definite win/win situation. I am now about to embark on making a quilt for my great grandson and I started the templates for the letters this morning before exchanging the really hard wooden chair at the table for my lovely cushiony chair in front of the computer.

2 comments:

Eileen T said...

I love the idea of a memory quilt, especially using T- shirts ... it's going to be so warm and comforting to use.

La escuela en forma said...

I do wish to learn your Quilt technique. Maybe sometime soon we'll have the opportunity! Lovely outcome. Congrats! Cristina