Wednesday 8 November 2017

Monday no Wednesday - I'm late I was busy

When we went to North Wales for the Christening of my youngest granddaughter I realised that somehow I had missed making a quilt for her elder brother. I had made one for her eldest brother when he was Christened and now I had made one for Little Miss but not for the middle one. I talked to him about it and promised to make a special quilt for him.

It took me a while to get going because I could see his name in my mind but the rest of the quilt just wouldn't form. That was until I was looking at fabric on this here t'internet and suddenly I spotted a range of fabrics called "To The Moon And Back". There were planets and rockets and constellations and everything fell into place.
This also made me realise that I gave a quilt to my great granddaughter but I haven't yet given one to her little brother ... I have enough To the Moon jelly roll* left and certainly enough layer cake* so that's one of my objectives for the next two weeks. I have to get this done because that will empty the bag of wadding and the backing fabric and get me started on reducing the contents of the "Fornow" room (you know about the fornow room, yes? that's the room you point to when someone asks "where shall I put this" you say "Oh, put it in there For Now")
My Cousin Ann is coming in two weeks to help me get all the crap stuff sorted and sent to either the tip or the charity shop or photographed and put on eBay. I want to make sure that I have reduced the sewing stuff a bit just to get started.
We have Wicked Uncle Cliff coming to stay just after Christmas and we have Cousin Russell staying too so we need another bedroom so this is the push I needed to reduce the amount of junk. I am not moving just downsizing LOL

* for the non sewing readers Jelly Roll is a roll of fabric strips usually about 6cm wide and about 120cm long. There are about 40 of these strips in a jelly roll. Layer cake is a stack of 10" squares of a range of fabric usually about 40 squares and with this amount of fabric I can make two quilts that will go on the beds until they grow up and can also be used to cwtch under when watching TV.

2 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

I'd heard/read people talking about layer cakes and jelly rolls - so thank you for the explanation.

That is a way cool quilt - with all that space stuff I suspect Wookie would be happy with it, so I won't show it to him! :)

Ruth said...

Personalised quilts are such a wonderful gift! I now have the one my parents were given on their 30th wedding anniversary and I love it! I was given a homemade one (by the same lady who made the one for my parents) when I turned 30 but, long story short, our dog Max died on it earlier this year and the vet refused to return it, as it was "contaminated". In a strange way, it's comforting that it was with Max at his end.