Monday 17 December 2012

Simply a moment - December

Amber at the back, GLC to the left, Koala to the right
It's Sunday. Mr M is playing Angry Birds on his computer, the washing machine is struggling with our waterproof coats and the meat is waiting on the counter top to be seasoned and thrown in the oven. I need something to focus on for a minute or two. What can I write about? what would be good? I lean against the windowsill and rest my forehead against the cool glass. Immediately the chickens look up at me, waiting. If I were to open the window they would rush across the garden and stand beneath the window - one floor down because of the slope of the hill - and make little jumps to try and get closer to me.
Koala can stand the tension no longer and in a flurry of feathers she shoots up four feet into the air and then does a clumsy half circle before colliding with the honeysuckle and landing in an ungainly heap. She leaps to her feet and turns around to prepare another flight. Her determination to one day succeed in flying the 15 feet up to the window can be seen in that beady eye. The other two watch her efforts with the resigned patience that only a chicken can exude. I throw them a handful of corn and immediately Amber responds with that funny Tuk, Tuk, Tuk noise that hens make when calling their chicks to a tasty morsel. Koala and GLC (Goldie Lookin' Chicken) rush to her side to see why her corn is so much better. They glance up at me just to make sure there is nothing better coming and then return to pecking up the corn as quickly as possible.

I turn away from the window, fill the kettle and prepare the cups for the tea and coffee. I still have a smile on my face from watching my "girls". Then I realise that my moment is done. Just one perfect moment when everything made me smile.
Why not take a moment to read some other "moments" over at Alexa's blog Trimming the Sails I am sure you will find something to enjoy.

4 comments:

Miriam said...

Oh I can here your girls! I have always wanted to have some chickens but it's just not practical for us. I did watch them in the field over the weekend though. I often put my head on the window to cool down! I loved your moment so much. x

alexa said...

What a wonderful moment to capture! Your description is so vivid, humourous and yet affectionately tender at the same time ... Your 'girls' are clearly very attached to you. Thank-you so much for joining in and I hope you've enjoyed it. I know I have :).

Maria Ontiveros said...

Perfect!
Rinda

Becky said...

This was lovely! I have two chickens and know exactly what you mean about the trying to fly!