Sunday 1 September 2013

Storytelling Sunday Three? - September

Storytelling sunday was begun by Sian over at From High in the Sky This year the theme is Pick Your Precious.
Pick Your Precious is about celebrating the little things you love: those souvenirs, bits and pieces, things from your past you can't bear to throw out. You know, the special little something you have tucked away in a drawer or up on a shelf? Or the thing you love most in a room? Or the object you would save if you knew you had to leave the country? Your favourite things. Why not pop over to Sians place when you have read my story, there you will find loads of other stories.

This month my story is quite short and my precious is very small. It lives in a corner of my hand bag and is mostly not thought about at all.
It's a lucky pebble, given to me by Mr M about ooh I don't know, twenty years ago.
We know it is lucky by the markings on it. Those white lines go all the way around the pebble, that makes it lucky. there are more than one, that makes it lucky. I did not find it myself, it was given to me with love, that makes it lucky. It can only be found on a beach, that makes it lucky. You can only have one at a time, that keeps it lucky. When someone gives you a new one you must take the old one to a beach and throw it out into the sea so that the mermaids can refill it with good luck for the next person.
My lucky pebble is probably due for a refill about now but I like the feel of it when my fingers touch it unexpectedly in my bag and I have grown fond of it in a funny way. One day Mr M will find a new one and then I will return it to the mermaids, filled with love and memories for them to turn into luck for someone else

17 comments:

debs14 said...

I love this! I can imagine it just laying there in amongst the normal handbag 'essentials' and you accidently finding it as you search for keys/money/receipts. Keep it safe - it may take Mr M a little longer to find another one. I think those mermaids make sure they fill them up to the brim with luck so it never really runs out!

helena said...

Oh I love that you can only have one at a time and the used one is sent into the waves for the mermaids to replenish

Jen said...

What a dilightful story you told - I love that it lives in your bag - and am sure those mermaids fill it to the very top so the luck never runs out. J x

Sheena said...

What a wonderful story x
i love how your fingers must come across it when you least expecting to.

Missus Wookie said...

What a clever Mr M to have found it! And what a kind Mr M to have given it to you - I like that you keep it in your handbag to come across unexpectedly.

Abi said...

Beautiful words and story. I like the idea of throwing it back to the mermaids!

Barbara Eads said...

That's a great "precious" to carry around with you. I love little things that don't have monetary value, but mean the world to the owner. I love those stories. I think you need to scrapbook this and tell the story behind it! Otherwise, it's just a pebble in your purse.

Sian said...

I think I can almost feel its smooth surprise myself! What a lovely thing to have in the bottom of your bag: It's a perfectly precious lucky charm indeed. I'm not sure whether to wish you good luck in finding a new one someday or to wish that you keep that one!

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a lovely tradition.
Rinda

Mitralee said...

THAT is an awesome story! Now I really want to head to the beach and start looking! We spent an hour the last time looking for sea glass...although it was a freshwater beach so not really sea....

HUGS for sharing that!

Mitra

Sinead said...

This is such a lovely story! I really like the idea of your hand brushing off it as you search through your handbag for something else :) The idea of sending it back to the mermaids is magical!

Becky said...

How wonderful! This is a lovely story and I love the tradition of only having one and throwing the old back to the mermaids. Lovely :)

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a lucky pebble being filled by mermaids.

Mel said...

Great story.

Karen said...

What a great story! I learned quite a lot about what makes it lucky. I've never heard about needed to return the current one to the beach. That would involve a long drive for me!

Jo said...

I absolutely love this story and will be looking for a lucky stone next time I go to the beach:) x

Jane said...

a lovely little story, keep it always.